Sit in the Chair and Do the Drawing

I'm at the point in the next big book where all the creative, exploratory, fun stuff is pretty much over, and now it's just a matter of sitting down and grinding it out. Drawing really feels more like a chore than anything else.

I was able to make myself sit down on Saturday and crank out about ten pages of comics. It may sound like a lot, but the style of these comics is pretty loose, so it's not really Jack Kirby six-pages-a-day territory.


I'm very proud of the starry sky in the third panel of this page.


And this page gives me the willies.


But of course, because this is the grind-it-out phase, my mind is very open to all sorts of distractions. There are so many ideas and semi-ideas that come calling. I could continue with Faster Miles an Hour or The Sex Sex. I could do a panel for panel redraw of Youngblood #1. Or I could just rewrite Youngblood #1 entirely. Draw it in the style of Tom Gauld. Or I could do a vampire comic. Like a cyber-punk vampire comic. Or maybe something where everybody rides wolves and bears. Or dinosaurs.

They're all so alluring.

Comments